Faqihin On Friday 22 March 2013


This is the second 2013 Malaysian film I've watched! Man, I'm on a roll  =P

 Don't get me wrong, loads of local films had came out for the past 3 months but most of them aren't exactly my kind of film.  I'm an avid film goer and I try to make time for the really interesting and inspiring film titles.  So, what does this film has? What made me intrigued to watch it? Well, first of, it's a sequel. 

I love the first installment because it had that smart comedy that I crave for at the time.  Back in 2005, most local film's comedy were just silly slapstick--heck, it still is now.  Another fact on why I love this film because it's a parody/comedy of the Malaysian rock society in the old days.  To me, it's an ingenious idea; considering how most local films lack of smart scripts.

The script is just so smart.  The realistic hardships of the rockers are presented in a comedic-parody sort of way.  The character's traits are exaggerated true to life attitude of Malaysian society which is freaking funny.  The punch lines felt so casual as if you're listening a joke from your very funny friend.  What do I mean by that? The jokes felt really real and not forced like most local comedy film does nowadays.  The story also features a lot of messages even with a lot of comedy.  The portrayal of the hardships are presented really well.  The story even shows the fall of Rock music in Malaysia. 

As for the actors, they kept most of the original actors from the first film.  Of course, they had new actors and I am glad to say that Saiful Apek is in this! His comedy may have gone down due to shows like Maharaja Lawak and lack of new films.  But this is a film he deserves and, frankly, needs.  Most of his comedic style is slapstick and by being in this film, it just goes to show that he is really trying.  Honestly, he is not that funny in this film but his character did had an important role even though he is not in the main cast.  Khir Rahman's character (Jijoe) was that guy in your group that just never stops talking; the kind of guy who always had an opinion. He's like the voice of the group--heck, maybe even the whole rock society.  Que Haidar, like most of this films, always portray a smartly written character.  Amy Mat Piah may be the main character but due to Jijoe, he had less impact compared to him.  Pekin Ibrahim's character was the most daring one among them.  First of, his character's name is Slash.  So, it felt like a silly 'tribute' name to me.  But once I saw the film, his character was also one of that true to life guys.  Slash is talented but he has problem with voicing his own needs.  Whatever the band ask of him, he'd be fine with it all the time.  And I can't help to feel like there are loads of this people in Malaysian society.

In summary, if Juvana was the best local action/crime film of 2013 then Rock oo! might be the best comedy.  Next title for local cinemas is Bola Kampung the movie! This year's animation for the Malaysian industry.  

So, I would give Rock oo! a solid 3/5 for a smart comedy that I've always craved for local films.  

Leave a Reply

Subscribe to Posts | Subscribe to Comments