Faqihin On Tuesday 17 January 2012


What you see above is indeed a rip off of Assassin's Creed's Altair. I saw the trailer of this film on TV and I said to myself "What the heck is this?! It's a total rip off!".  Minutes later, I bought it on Astro First for RM 15.  The film is called Velayudham; an accidental superhero.  I mean, how could a common village boy suddenly became a symbol of anti-corruption? Before he even wore the costume and had the intentions of fighting crime, he was a total ass kicker with no explanation of where he learned all of those moves.  I laughed at the first half an hour of the film.  No, I didn't laughed at the silly and pathetic punchlines but instead, the singing and dancing.  At that time, it's been a long time since I've watched a classic nonsensical Tamil music video.  From a corrupted and dirty city, the scene suddenly turns into an Arabian themed stage. Ah yes, the good old silly music video that I've grown to hate.  I also laughed at the action scenes.  The hero actually had a hidden blade! But as I continued watching, shit got serious.  I was impress with the whole anti-corruption story line of the film.  People were ripped off from their money and killed by bomb attacks.  The people called Velayudham (the hero) as one of their brothers; a brother whom protects them from injustice.  Yeah, I was impress a bit because it turns out, it wasn't a straight forward all action kind a superhero flick.  The story, I would say, had a heart.  An example of a straight forward all action film would be The Transporter with Jason Statham and The Expendables.  Yes, the action scenes were awesome and bad ass but it had no heart.  It didn't explore the depths of the idea of killing or even the character's predicament.  But this Tamil movie did.  Heck, I think they pull it of when they kill off the hero's little sister! And she was a bride in the film! First of all, it's a Tamil movie and it's been known as a happy go lucky film about love with dancing and singing.  The worst thing that could happen in a Tamil movie is the forbidden love thing where the love interest and the main character somehow isn't allowed to be with one another.  Brides in Tamil movies are suppose to get married and live happily ever after! Haha, okay, maybe I'm going overboard with this whole bride thing but it just goes to show that this film isn't that all bad or stupid even though it's hero is a total rip off of my favorite game character; Altair.  I just really wished that they tried to be more original with the hero's design and so, I did a sketch of my own version of Velayudham.




   There's also a pic of one of Assassin's Creed Multiplayer character, The Executioner.  I mean, they could of just used The Executioner's hoodie right? Add in some classic Tamil fabric and done; an almost original design.  I don't think people would even notice the reference because well, The Executioner isn't very popular and the story line would certainty over shadow the whole rip off thing.  What's my rating for this film? Well, for a Tamil movie, it's kind a good.  So, I give the film a 3/5 for a good script.  I would give it a 3.5/5 but the whole Altair rip off thing is still unacceptable.





Next is Kamen Rider Decade: All Riders vs Dai-Shocker.


Well, in summary, the film is totally targeted on kids :(
The whole concept of all Kamen Riders teams up and even fights one another couldn't satisfy my adolescent mind.  It didn't concentrated on past Kamen Rider's individuality.  Kamen Rider Decade was the center of the attention.  But honestly, I love how Decade transform.  I don't know why but when he scans his card with his belt and the belt shouts out "Kamen Rider......Decade/Kiva/Agito!".  It just makes the inner child in me screams out :D There's nothing much to expect from this film.  It's just a good movie to past the time and an awesome one for little kids.  Honestly, Decade isn't my favorite because he's too strong.  I've always love an underdog hero and Decade's ability to use other Kamen Rider's powers is just too strong to me.  He seems unbeatable.  I'll give it a 3.5/5 for the awesome concept of Kamen Rider Decade being able to transform into various other past Kamen Riders and it couldn't go more than that because of the lifeless villains.



HAHA! It's not much of a sketch, I know.  Surprisingly, I sort of enjoyed drawing his helmet.  It seemed kind a silly to me at first but when I draw it, I then knew how cool it is and I respect to those who made this Kamen Rider's suit and helmet into a reality. Syabas! (Well done).  By the way, here's my explanation of my ratings:
1/5: Pathetic/ Wasting time/ Disrespectful or any other insults you could think of  :)
2/5: Boring/ Cliche'.
3/5: A good film to past the time/ Could of been better.
4/5: An awesome and inspiring movie.
5/5: Ever green/ An instant classic/ Inspiring/ Epic/ Genius.

The addition of 0.5 is somewhat an extra to films that I think that could go to the next level of the ratings.  Did that made any sense? :/

Have a good day everybody :)

{ 2 comments... read them below or Comment }

  1. Nice! Reviews! You should make more reviews every now and then!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shit just got real..Tamil assassin here we come ! ;D

    ReplyDelete