Faqihin On Saturday 12 September 2015

So, there's rumors and 'news' about film production companies wanting to make a Keluang Man movie; even claiming that it's confirmed (At this stage? I highly doubt it).  The reactions have been positive reactions so far though I wouldn't call it a solid demand in the local film market.  If it ever gets made (I sure wish it doesn't or I wouldn't even care if it did), I'm absolute positive that it will fail critically and financially. 



WHO THE HELL IS KELUANG MAN?

No, it's not that I've never heard of him before.  I did watch a handful--though my memories a bit hazy about it--of Keluang Man episodes.  What I meant is that both audience and filmmakers have no idea who Keluang Man really is; what he represents and what are his aesthetics.  We're all blinded by nostalgia and childhood innocence.  It's hard enough that filmmakers have to figure out the story but it makes it twice as hard when the audience themselves cannot identify with Keluang Man with a proper aesthetic besides Batman Malaysia, Superhero Malaysia and nostalgic values.  Do you make a Western Superhero Parody? I think local movie-buffs would be turned off.  Do you make it fun and action-packed? Well, did you liked Cicakman or KL Gangster? What about a serious story? Keluang Man doesn't even have a proper mythology that's decently unique or engaging.

Please, for the love of god, watch it again and with an open, mature mind! I've revisited a few episodes.  It had a more fluid animation compared to Anak-anak Sidek.  But the filler dialogues and Batman villain rip-off shows that is still needs to age longer before it can turn into a movie. Now that I've revisited him, Borhan (Keluang Man) now reminds me of Goku.  He's fun, oblivious to the nature of his surroundings and villains always want to challenge him.




IS THERE HOPE?

I'm up for it if there's passion involved.  Perhaps, it's not the source material that I lack faith in.  And I always like to think of myself as the guy who fights for the audience :P
But as stated above, both filmmakers and audience still lack identification with Keluang Man.  Dare I say, even the hardcore fans.  We always need more content regardless if it's old.  So, I can see Keluang Man being revived as a new animated series and definitely as an ongoing comic book.  If it was up to me for the reboot, I'd get rid of the Batman villains.  Johan Hitam and that Samurai Guy (I forgot his name) would definitely stay.  Borhan's fun nature will still stay the same but I'd give him more backstory as to why he's in a mental institution in the first place.  But he's definitely not a symbol of a serious Malaysian superhero.

Salam and thanks for reading! 







Leave a Reply

Subscribe to Posts | Subscribe to Comments