Faqihin On Friday 23 November 2012





I've been watching and catching up with Kamen Rider and eventually became an instant fan! Of course I was aware with the franchise since I was a kid but as I get older, I assumed that it was just another silly kid's show that my adult-self cannot tolerate or like.  During my semester break, after finishing my list of thing to do, I was bored and so I decided to watch Kamen Rider Fourze.  It was the latest at the time and I was really curious about the silly rocket shaped helmet design.  Surprisingly, the show was really good.  It wasn't the kiddish action that Power Rangers (Current ones) or Super Sentai had to offer.  It was a balanced between decent kid-friendly theme and superb creativity! But it wasn't enough for me, I heard that past Rider shows were more matured and so I decided to watch Kamen Rider Kabuto! A Rider that I've always loved the design when I was a kid; the horns and bright red armor were just a major win to me.



Sadly, during its run in 2006, I wasn't able to bear the slow paced show; being a kid and all.  Of course I only expected action =P  I was a kid.

But after watching the series now, I loved it more and more with each episode watched; telling myself "I used to hate this?!".  Now let's not get all to geeky over it.  I have to admit, it's not all that awesome.  I dislike the very constant convenient arrivals or run ins of characters; arriving in the scene just in time to save the day or for the sake of the plot.  That bugged me a bit.

Besides the superb design, mature theme, awesome action and gimmick, it has to be the idea of the show itself; of what it means to me as an adult watching my childhood show.  The idea of me watching Kamen Rider Kabuto now is like what most comic book fans felt when they watched The Avengers live action film.  It's a dream come true.  Why? It's because I assumed that shows like Pokemon, Power Rangers, Digimon and so on would never be rebooted in a more mature way.  Sure, we all like to love Pokemon again but as we get older, some of us might grown to be annoyed by it due to it's kiddish plot....but hey, it's for kids! It was always meant for kids which is why seeing these shows in a more mature manner would be unlikely to happen.  It was almost like watching The Dark Knight; finally seeing a better or more mature Batman that previous incarnations like Batman and Robin failed to do.

 And this short review wouldn't be complete, to me, without a quick sketch! The hero himself, Tendou Souji!

And one of my favorite second Rider ever! Kagami Arata, Kamen Rider Gatack! Man, I love this guy! He had one of the best build ups as a hero/Rider ever! And quick frankly, I'm a huge sucker for righteous characters =P



And since this is a post to highlight my quick sketches, here's a practice sketch for an assignment of mine:
I'm still trying to practice realistic drawings and these two are suppose to be The Undertaker and Al Pacino from The Godfather.  It's not really good, I must admit.


Salam and have a good day, everybody!

Leave a Reply

Subscribe to Posts | Subscribe to Comments