Faqihin On Saturday 24 May 2014


This is the first local movie review of 2014.  Sadly, I don't watch a lot of local films newly released.  It's not just because of the constant disappointment that it brings, it's more to my lack of discipline of going to theaters.  I only make time for my list and, even so, I still missed a few.  While I try to stay consistent in supporting local films, let's review another installment of Mamat Khalid's Zombi franchise.

I'm having a blast with my movie marathon and while there are plenty of awesome movies, there's also a fair share of horrible ones as well.  While my previous reviews of films are very positive, this is one of few bad ones.  I feel sort of bad starting it with Zombi Kilang Biskut.

No Plot  

Don't get me wrong, I love Mamat Khalid's films.  He's constant subtexts of social commentary in Malaysia are always fun.  As I watched this film, it made me longing for Man Laksa and Rock oo; genres that are much more suited for his style.  I also enjoyed Hantu Kak Limah Balik Rumah which was a surprise to me.  I try to give sympathy for Zombi Kilang Biskut but I just can't.  It had no freaking plot.  Trust me, I looked for it! It had this superhero trope-like story of having two ghosts (Equivalent to having two villains)? What? The Pontianak (Female Vampire) and hoards of zombies was a terrible idea in terms of plot.  The Pontianak had this horror suspense story going on while the zombies carried the survival horror feel.  It was confusing.  It felt like they had no idea what they're writing about.  One might say that it's comedy so give it a break.  No! The genre and plot should help the humor; giving a more strong feel when one watches a film.  What made it worse was the very lazy franchising attempt at the end.  Yes, all Zombi films end with a cliffhanger but at least, it had a strong enough ending.  In Zombi Kilang Biskut, I was just confused, speechless and disappointed.  I never liked a hint of the sequel's plot and to face one that's just lazy is a whole different level.

Parody of Malaysians

Perhaps, this is the main reason why I would watch it.  I immensely enjoyed Rock with it's never before seen story of highlighting Malaysian Pop Culture.  Here in this film, the subtexts were still there.  They were presented with a few funny scenes.  I enjoyed it.  It add the humor even more.  But it lacks a bigger picture; of what specific topic that it's trying to tackle.  No doubt, it was due to the inconsistent genre as it's premise.    
Verdict

I recommend to watch this with your family as I find it to be more funny to laugh in a group.  However, unlike my family, I didn't enjoyed it as much as they did.  I give Zombi Kilang Biskut a disappointing 2.5/5.  
Here's hoping for better days, Salam and thanks for reading!   

Leave a Reply

Subscribe to Posts | Subscribe to Comments