Faqihin On Tuesday 15 October 2013

OH MY GOD! 

It's Eidul Al-adha and it's been months since I posted anything here! A lot has been through with my life which can affect the foundations of this blog:

1. I'm a film student now which brings the question what this blog should be about? I always tried to make my articles 'graphic' based (If it's not about reviews). So, should I just show the short films I did for my assignment?

2. I haven't draw for a long time! The X-factor that drove me to write and procrastinate on this blog.

So many questions yet I gave not much attention to figure it out. While I seek the answers for this question, I'll fill my holidays with this one article. A tribute to Kamen Rider.



It's that time of the year again for Rider Fans: the end of a series and a beginning of a new one! Above is the new fruit/samurai/locks themed Rider.  Now that I've done watching Kamen Rider Wizard (The previous one) and Kamen Rider W, I have so much to say about the franchise.



It's safe to say that I'm still a fresh Kamen Rider fan; having to only finish six Rider series.  But I can't help to notice the constant teeth grinding cliches' that exists within the franchise.  Characters always arrive in the fighting scene on time (With no effort of the writers making it seamless), weakly written punching bags (The weekly monsters to be slaughtered), one dimensional fighting choreography (Every Rider is either a swordsman or Gun fu expert and the main Rider is always both) and bad acting (Just odd body languages).

Of course, there are trademarks that is annoying at a certain point but can't be complained.  Such as the toy weapons and gears.  Number one rule of getting into Kamen Rider (Especially for those artsy film critics), it's a merchandise-driven show.  All of those fancy transformations and the impractical weapons are meant to sell the merchandise to kids and adult collectors.  If you complain about that then don't bother watching Kamen Rider in the first place.


Like WWE, I'm having problems of loving these franchises.  Both have predictable, boring and repetitive plot devices.  That is until I am reminded of the very reason why I love Riders in the first place.

   Fang/Joker
One of the hero's power forms in Kamen Rider W; a series I've recently finished watching



For Kamen Rider, I always admire the ridiculous amount of creativity.  After finishing any Rider series, I always notice the layers of gimmicks of the story.  Hence, the fruit/samurai/lock themed Kamen Rider Gaim.  And for the debut of Kamen Rider Gaim, here's my own way of a tribute to the franchise.

A story idea   

"About a year ago, Mark Rawlins, a private investigator, lost his mentor in a mysterious hurricane incident on an Island during a case they were investigating.  The suspect, Alexander Kane, an archaeologist who also lost his 23 year old son in the hurricane blames both Mark and his mentor.  Now in the present, Mark stumbled upon supernatural cases that leads to Alexander Kane.  His only leads are mysterious artifacts from an unknown culture long time ago whom Alexander Kane recently discovered one of them in his excavations.  Suddenly, Mark knew that he was in some very dark secrets that redefines logic.  But with help, he might get through all of this madness.  That help is Daniel Kane."


The Concept
Alexander Kane believes in the fairy tale of Gaia's Guardians.  Mother nature was worried about her earth being destroyed by mankind's parasitic nature so she chose a family to protect it.  Instead of violence, Gaia tasked the chosen family to guide the men and women from further damaging her soil; of the ecosystem, consumable energies and many more.  With each passing families of every generation, they each acquired a totem that holds their memories; of their sacrifice, love and secrets.  Each totem has three distinctive features and they are animals, elements and gems; all representing the families legacy.  Not much is known of what these artifacts are capable of but Alexander Kane seeks to find that out.


Upon finishing Kamen Rider W, I notice a huge story possibility in the near ending episodes; a story aspect that can be emphasized in more unique ways.  So, this story idea is based on Kamen Rider W and if you have watched the series, it should be very obvious. 

The heroes of the series. Both men are required to transform into a single Super hero.  Guess who's the detective.


To summarize for those who aren't aware of the show's story, basically it's a detective flick who has superpowers.  They investigate supernatural cases but it wasn't emphasized in a way you'd expect. Capiche?
Mind boggling, right?  The show's terminology of their source of power is very creative and it inspired me to write the artifact's concept in my idea.  The heroes source of power comes from earth's 'memories'.  From there, some villainous scientists created the Gaia memories...that looks like thumb drives.  Hence, comes my idea of Gaia's Guardians and their artifacts that contains their memories.

It's just clever merchandising...okay! Don't ask. 
  
The heroes and even villains transform by using these Gaia memories.  What comes next is who I imagine acting out as Mark Rawlins and Daniel Kane.


From my favorite movie, Mark Ruffalo (left) plays the detective! He's just so cool and charming in this film.  Not to mention, the fedora. 


And Robert Pattinson to play Daniel Kane.  I don't know, I imagined a spoiled rich kid in his 20's...out pops Robert in my head.


Michael Caine as Alexander Kane.  For some, when they imagine a wise and charming veteran, they might think of Gandalf.  Well, I think of Alfred Pennyworth.  Another key point in the plot you should know is that the detective's partner in Kamen Rider W is the son of the main villain.  So, their relationship is also important in my story idea.


So, what's the point of these ideas? How does it pays respect to the franchise? This idea is for both fans and non fans alike.  I wanted to create different perspectives of seeing the Kamen Riders; of how much inspiration you can get from this merchandise-driven show.  Yes, at times the show makes me roll my eyes to a point where it goes white but I have to appreciate and admire the constant fresh ideas every year.  It's not easy making a franchise lasted for more than 30 years, you know? So, here's hoping for our favorite franchise to still carry on, Pokemon (Pokemon X & Y's hype is crazy!), WWE, Doctor Who, Digimon, and Ultraman, have a nice day! 


Leave a Reply

Subscribe to Posts | Subscribe to Comments