Faqihin On Saturday 28 December 2013


This is post number 3 of my new year's post marathon! This film is the only animation in my 'must watch' film's list.  Yes, I've heard loads of other good animation titles this year including the surprisingly (At least, to me) successful Frozen but I lack the effort of searching for more film titles and, sadly, dedication to watch them.  Hmm, maybe that should be my new year's resolution. 

While some people might say Pixar's marketing strategy is preventing them from producing more high quality animations, I must say that I love it.  They release a sequel this year; catching the attention of old time fans (The 90's kids who are already grown up) and attracting new ones (The kids of the current generation) by releasing a new title in the following year.  It is understandable that the pressure of releasing a film annually can stunt the creative growth.  I also understand the lucrative side; of gaining more profits.  While capitalizing films purely for profit will ruin it's full potential, I see that the marketing strategy here is working pretty well.  With the exception of Cars, most Pixar films has succeed in capturing the hearts of the audience...and their cash. Haha.


The chemistry
  
At a first glance, it's obvious the Mike Wazowski takes the lead in this prequel.  This is a surprise since none of the trailers highlighted this.  Most of them suggest that the story purely revolves around the duo though Sully does have his fair share of emotional moments.  To not spoil most of the plot, let's just say that Mike is the lead, without a doubt, and Sully supports that development in the most beautifully written way.  

The engagement

I'm in University now so, of course, I had that small but effective moment of reflecting myself with Mike's first day of college.  This is where Pixar films shines very well and the engagement gets only stronger when the story highlights that head scratching formula of being successful.  In life, there's always the talented and the knowledgeable.  Since I've just experience this phenomenon, it just makes me feel..."Urgghh, I know how you feel, Mike Wazowski".  Sully, the talented, but ignorant Scarer was just so relatable, annoying and lovable!  Together with the chemistry of the characters, it made the story just more engaging and enjoyable!

The realization

I'll point out the potential in the film had that could make it better but as of late, I've realized that perhaps I'm just too old for Pixar films--What am I saying?!--haha.  It's hard not to notice the bashes that some cartoon or animation receives from adult critics.  The most constant I heard, especially this year with their new games being released, is Pokemon.  "The first generation was better!" or "The new designs suck!" are among the arguments.  Aside from maintaining the freshness of an ongoing franchise, a big factor that concludes me to disagree is that the show is for freaking kids!  It's meant to be colorful to catch their attention.  The story is suppose to be shallow or simple (As I prefer) to relate with them more.  While I agree that some shows has gone bad to a certain extent (Like how some Pokemon designs are silly), it's a teeth grinder to see or hear ridiculous arguments and even insults.  So, this new notion has lead me to a head scratcher as to what trope, theme and character development that wasn't enough (Or even too much) to make Monster's University an all time favorite.

Take note that this is an instant reaction after watching the film.  The opinion during that moment and after a decent amount of time are totally different.  To be honest, maybe the film would be another all time favorite if I'd watch it again now but as for that moment when the end credits roll, I had a different reaction.

So, here's the downside of the flick.  Because it was a prequel, the expectation that they'll be best friends and work at the Monster's Incorporation was more apparent and expected.  Admirably, there were efforts of making it unexpected.  I loved the climax.  It answered that small question I had of what the human world was like in this story's universe.  Again, because of the expectation, the ending couldn't be delivered in a more heart warming, tear jerking way.  Make no mistakes, it was good but that high level of story you expect from Pixar wasn't delivered.      


The conclusion 

It's a kid's film and even better, it's a great and smart one!  I'm starting to worry as there are other--not only bad--but uneducated movies for little children.  As always, this Pixar film is engaging, heart warming and inspirational.  It's also an admiration for the company's new bold move of trying out prequels.  I give Monster's University a grade of 3.5/5 for bringing back James P. Sullivan and Mike Wazowski; reminding me that dreams can come true in the most unexpected way.  The grade is also for the lack of the Pixar 'wow' factor due to it's firs time making a prequel film.    
      





  


{ 1 comments... read them below or add one }