Faqihin On Monday 26 May 2014


The movie frenzy continues and I think it's time to finish reviewing films in this year's Spoils list since my holidays is at its end.  I've already started with Godzilla 2014 which was spectacular.  Of course, I did forgot to review Robocop and perhaps I'll get to it soon.  For now, I wanna review the film that sort of catalyzed my frenzy towards films; abandoning video games which I always turn to during semester breaks.

Eyes are windows to the soul

Upon watching the trailer, I was concerned that the CGI of Spidey really looked cartoon-ish.  Perhaps, it was a good thing because many fans has claimed that this is a design that stays closer to it's source material.  I, personally, love it (I even plan on buying the figure!).  Spidey actually looks like a teen.  What's more impressive is that the suit actor looks more lively; being more expressive with body language unlike Sam Raimi's Spidey.  As I watch the film, I turned out to be wrong and Spidey looks just as alive in live action.  I love the fact that he's suit wrinkles as he jumps.  Some might say that the eyes could make or brake a character's design; considering the fact that most people relies on it for emotional engagement.  It sounds like an unfair burden--I know--but they pulled it off with this incarnation of Spidey.  For example, Iron Man's eye holes are shaped in a small and narrow holes; mimicking an angry eye.  So, when the audience sees this as he is fighting; it syncs as one always associates anger with violence.  Spidey's eyes has a balance between angry and emotional as it's narrow on top but continues to be cursive at the bottom.  It gives him a more peculiar and engaging attraction.  The design from the first Amazing Spidey didn't bothered me as much however when this was released, it made the old one seemed like a Spider-man wannabe.

The Chemistry

I re-watched the first installment of Marc Webb's take a few weeks before the sequel and I'm glad I did.  Sometimes, the notion of what an adaptation should be really ruins your experience.  You should focus on what a story can be and from there, you can appreciate and learn wonders.  Before Spidey, Marc Webb directed 500 days of Summer and upon knowing that, it's obvious that he brought his arsenals from there to this new one.  It bothered me that Spidey didn't had much say in the first one; in a way that the character couldn't carry or express himself emotionally without a partner.  Spider-Man always narrates his stories in comics and even in Sam Raimi's take.  He always have something to say.  So, to see him relying so much with Gwen Stacy took us away from his charisma.  Then again, Spider-Man is also most famous with his love interests and to see a love story that's realistic brings new perspective of the beloved character.  Let's face it, Mary Jane in the old one is a bit of a guy's fantasy.  I love how Gwen brings out Peter Parker in a new way.  Fortunately, the balance between Spidery's charisma and love interests was satisfying in The Amazing Spidey 2; being able to express himself as the costumed hero we love and as a person.  If not for this knowledge, I couldn't have enjoyed it as much because this is the aspect that really pulled me in.

Milking it too much

Unfortunately, it wasn't the best of Spidey and the flaws are big enough to weigh it down.  These aren't flaws that's personal but more constructive as you can see clearly a huge franchising attempt here.  Sigh, it's Iron Man 2 all over again.  It was surprising as they went with a one dimensional villain again; same as the ones on Sam Raimi's.  Presenting a quick 360 turn of a normal person turning pure evil without much character developments.  I thought they were unwelcome anymore ever since Batman Begins.  Electro--although was the best villain for visuals--wasn't the best of villains in terms of story.  He felt like a pond in this story which was the only depths I can see fit because the franchise seems to have Oscorp as it's primary villain.  The whole Max Dillon being a victim to Oscorp is good enough.  Hey, it's better then Sandman 'accidentally' fall into a experiment site and gain powers; 'conveniently' evening the odds with Spidey.  Max's motivations were also undeveloped.  Harry Osborne was the true villain here and his character was well develop.  Although, he seems to much of a wimp to me, Dan Deehan's acting proves why he was cast.  He's design, however, seems a bit rushed; combining an exo-suit with a half mutated face.  It seemed like they were unsure of how the new Green Goblin would fit in this new franchise.  Rhino was just a thug which didn't bothered me as much.  The franchising attempt clearly puts in too much information that prohibits the story to be fully develop.  I'm not even convinced that a Venom movie would work.   

Verdict

All in all, this is a Spider-Man film that I enjoyed very much; having fun with it's humor and action while staying true to it's source material.  It's really awesome that they finally use the whole hunting for Spidey's blood plot.  Who knows, maybe Scarlet Spider would finally make his cinematic appearance! However, with such a solid premise, I would have big expectations for the next one; to really represent Spider-Man's legacy.  Perhaps, like Iron Man 3.  This wasn't the main event film of 2014 but I'm having second thoughts.  I'm glad it proved me wrong.  Thus, I give The Amazing Spider-Man a 4/5. 

Salam readers!  

Leave a Reply

Subscribe to Posts | Subscribe to Comments