Faqihin On Monday 19 May 2014


A lot of people--well, to be specific, people in my social circles--said that this is great.  I couldn't get away from hearing this film; as if fate is telling me to watch it.  I watched an interview of popular directors and Alfonso Cuaron was in it.  I was in love with Guillermo Del Toro--especially his recent film-- and what do you know, he was best friends with Alfonso Cuaron.  Heck, I even had to watch one of his earlier films in class.  Then it won Golden Globe Awards for best director.  After months of these hypes, I finally give it a try.


Mankind's beginnings

Let me just start by stating that if you aren't into visual storytelling in films, then you won't enjoy this movie to its fullest.  The art form is something you have to learn and I'm confident not all audience are well equip with it.  The plot is pretty straight forward; not many dialogues or elaborated character developments.  No, it wasn't ignored.  It was heavily and beautifully crafted within the cinematography.  It was unbelievably engaging as the scenes were shot as if the camera itself was floating in space; highlighting that there's no way up or down.  That's freaking scary; acknowledging that such simple law of physic is very important on how we perceive life.  The first person perspectives were also incredible; again emphasizing the gravity.  It felt like I was playing a video game..haha.  It reminded me of Dead Space 3.  The visual representation was also amazing and fits the vast and empty space premise beautifully.  I chose the poster above because it showcases one of most apparent visual story within.  In this scene, she was almost ran out of oxygen and struggles to get into the shuttle.  She then strips off from her space suit; panting and in a rush.  Then Sandra Bullock curled up; mimicking a fetus.  It's really cool how the props were composed to highlight this scene.  I felt the seconds of heavenly peace she felt.  To further the visual story, the final scene continues it as the protagonists struggles to swim out of the water when she finally landed on earth.  It felt good to finally see land, sea and grass.  The struggle highlights evolution; of the first fish to swim to shore.  I don't believe in Darwinism but I appreciate the substance crafted within the visuals.  The birth of mankind theme associated with the infinite possibilities of space really makes you feel tiny.

Another survival plot

This is the third survival movie I've watched in a row. Wow.  As I've stated in previous reviews regarding the plot tropes, character developments aren't elaborated as other genres.  I believe this genre relies on analogies on the actions and visuals.  Thus leading me to emphasize more that you can't enjoy this film to it's max without such notions.  Yes, the acting was superb, no doubt, but the writing wasn't elaborated.  It's very wonderful that this film really utilizes the visuals; making it a delightful experience.     

Verdict

Gravity took me away from this world; travelling to a black hole of beauty, curiosity and fear.  After all, people are afraid of things they do not understand.  Again, this is a movie I recommend to everyone and I urge you to acquire some understanding of visual storytelling for a better experience.  I give Gravity a 4/5.   

Leave a Reply

Subscribe to Posts | Subscribe to Comments