Faqihin On Wednesday 15 February 2012

     Alhamdulillah! Finally! I can use my printer again and now I can post my sketches! :')
     I've had this idea for weeks now and so here it goes...


For the general audiences, most of them don't know that Space Opera is a sub-genre in science fiction.  What's Space Opera and what's the difference? Well, there's no definite definition for it but based on my understanding; Space Opera is somewhat a classic medieval story with nations and empires at war but it's held in space in instead.  Most importantly, it emphasizes romance.  Examples for this genre are, of course, Star Wars, Andromeda and so on.  Now, there's loads more of sub-genres in science fiction (Steampunk, Military science fiction etc.) and quite frankly, I'm not sure if Star Wars could be defined as a Space Opera in overall.  It focuses more on--well, war.  Though within the six films, there is one or few that could be categorized as Space Opera; the relationship between Padme and Anakin is the clearest example.  Like I said, there's no definite definition.  My point is, I want to write about those Science Fiction films that focuses on intergalactic empires, spaceship dog fights and so on.  Let's just refer them as Space Operas shall we? Even though they don't emphasize on romance :)



Why do I bring up this topic? Well, it's because I'm trying to open my options of writing to numerous genres and to be honest, I'm really not a fan of Science Fiction.  Spaceships and aliens does not impress me at all.  The other day, I googled Star Wars; to do some research and fascinatingly, I've found out where George Lucas got the idea of making these iconic films.  There's a novel called Princess of Mars; a perfect example of a Space Opera.  A classic tale of saving a damsel in distress but with a different twist; you have to save her from giant aliens and stuffs.  The novel has a lot of volumes.  So, feel free to google them to know more :)

Even more fascinating, Disney has turned it into a film! It's called John Carter and I assume that it is a whole new plot.  You know, to make it a little fresher for a new generation of audience.  And from what I've seen from the trailer, I think that this is going to be a romance film thus officially making it a Space Opera film.  It's been a while since we've seen a Space Opera film.  Maybe it wouldn't be a romance film but hey, it still promises a lot of good action.  So, this could be really interesting.  I mean, it's really--how you say, intriguing to find out how the audience will react to John Carter.  Will it be the next phenomenon like Star Wars or will it be another overused commercialized film like Pirates of the Caribbean? Yeah, we all love Jack--I mean, Captain Jack Sparrow but somehow, a forth film with a somewhat an ending plot from the previous film just makes it lost it's excitement or X-factor.  It can't become as successful as it's previous three.  I'm not saying that it's bad! It's a good film nonetheless but it can't be one of the greats.









So, finally moving mo to my sketches!  =3




And for the first time, an inked sketch! Hahahahah :D 



I had to fix and change a lot of things from the original sketch :/
He's wearing an armor underneath that robe.
Still needs a lot of improvement  :'/



I tried to bring out a Sahara dessert-warrior look.  I didn't want it to be too mechanical.  So, what could he be? A space gladiator who falls in love with the king's daughter? A treasure hunter who' wanted by five planets or could he be a prince? A prince who wishes to marry the most desired princess in the whole galaxy and to do so, he needs to compete with dozens of other aliens in a race for a rare diamond.  Well, like I always say; ideas always expand within time.

So, that's all I have to write about  :)
Salam and have a good day everybody!  

Leave a Reply

Subscribe to Posts | Subscribe to Comments