Faqihin On Saturday 7 April 2012

I wanted to label this post within movie review or at least make it all under 'reviews' because of the fact that I'm not much of a reader.  But darn it, I'll start reading now! To be a good writer, you need to read a lot and that, of course, includes novels which I'm not much of a fan of it.  So, I'll start slowly with comics :)

I'm already reading a novel but I haven't finished it yet.  I'm a slow reader  =/



I bought this earlier this year.  It costs me RM 45 somethin'.  The problem is that this is a series and I bought the issue that's somewhere in the middle of the series because it was the cheapest :p

So, what do I think of this comic? It's superb! I don't read a lot of comics and when I do, they're about superheroes and so, reading a comic that centres realistic and mature topics really fascinates me.  Even though I had problems to understand what's going on (since I din't read the first few issues), it did thrilled me with it's artwork and story.  If I'm not mistaken, the story centres a reporter's view on a war between the government and an anti-establishment militia within the United States of America.  Due to this uprising, Manhattan has become a battlefield known as the DMZ.  The story centres on how the war affects the people of the DMZ.  It's really deep I tell you and to conclude or explain it in this post would be sort of unfair since I didn't read the rest of the series.  So, specifically for this issue, I give it a 3 out of 5 for a good read.







And just to make this post longer, I'm doing a review on a comic that I've read two years ago...I think.  World War Hulk, to me, is the best superhero comic book I've read so far.  I love how they try to send out a message about making the right decisions with the legacy of the iconic character.  What's Hulk's legacy? Misunderstood monster and anger....mostly anger.  Hulk was send to another planet by the Illuminati (Iron Man, Namor, Professor Xavier, Doctor Strange, Mr.Fantastic and Black Bolt) because he was just too dangerous.  The ship's coordinates was meant to send him to a peaceful planet but it somehow landed on Sakaar; a vicious planet ruled by the merciless Red king.  In the comic, Hulk was already a king on Sakaar and he and his WarBound friends went to Earth to avenge his wife's death (Not Betty) whom he thought was all The Illuminati's fault.  From here, it was total mayhem as all of earth's mightiest heroes dramatically battled The Hulk.  I loved that part.  Well, to find out what happens next; you should buy the book.  It's totally recommended for superhero fans.


Of course, even when I say it's the best comic book I've read, there's still some things that I don't like.  Number one, I don't like the wife thing.  Honestly, an alien wife? What about Betty? It's a good thing the comic skipped ahead to the Earth part because I wouldn't like the Gladiator in space part.  Though I did watch that part.  They made an Animation out of it.  It was quite okay.  Number two and this is a spoiler alert, he had a son in the end.  Are you serious? An alien son? There's a spin-off for his son and well, I won't waste my money on that one.  I would try to read it but to buy it...that's a no, no.  By the way, I didn't even bought the book.  I borrowed if from a friend.  Haha.  So, I give this book a 4 out of 5 for it's combination of The Hulk's legacy of anger and a strong message or theme of making the right decisions.

Leave a Reply

Subscribe to Posts | Subscribe to Comments