Faqihin On Sunday 8 April 2012

Here comes another Pop culture phenomenon! Why do I say that? Well, it's the buzz that people are giving to this film but more importantly; it's what most teens are saying about it.  Honestly, we can't deny the fact that at certain times, it's the teens that set what's trending with the film industry nowadays.  Sometimes, it's a sad fact considering that some teens say that The Twilight Saga is a good film which I'm not much of a fan but this time, stating The Hunger Games as the next smash hit is something that I can agree.

I'm not posting this picture because I'm another silly teenage fan.  Just sayin'  :)


Look at this picture.  I mean, c'mon! They're even promoting this film in a teen-ish way.   You don't see films like X-Men: First Class having lovely pictures of the casts being together now do you? It seems like they only do this when they're making a teen film.  



Now, I'm going to tell you how this phenomenon happened around me before and after it was released in theatres.
Pre-Release 
As you all know, the film is an adaptation of a book written by Suzanne Collins.  I worked at MPH Bookstores and so you could say I got a front row seat to see how this Pop culture accumulates.  I'm an observer and seeing how people would react to the book and film is really fascinating to me.  The company kept ordering loads of these books.  Suzanne Collins wrote a trilogy of it and each had different covers.  I had to know which one's the adult version, kid's version, Asian or UK imprint and the list goes on.  The books were arranged at the highlighted shelve where people could easily find them.  Practically, not many bought the book before the film releases.  So, the books sort of stood there untouched.    


Post-Release
And this is where the show really started.  As I was walking around, looking for something to do, the shelf  containing The Hunger Games book were surrounded by teenagers.  "Ah, here it is!" screamed an enthusiastic 16 something year old girl.  Everyday, teens surround the shelve and have a loud and sometimes annoying conversation; saying what they thought of the film.  Heck, a girl came to me and asked if the store had the mocking jay pin for sale  -_-  (This might sound egotistic but yeah, I was annoyed by that question).


All right, now comes my review on the film.  About two weeks later, I went to see the film.  I was a bit surprise because the film is slow.  Normally, that sort of films wouldn't be a hit for young viewers but I guess the novel adaptation factor helped it to get it's audience. A fast-paced action with a bit of a teenage love story would do the trick but not The Hunger Games.  It really focuses the idea of being in a battle to the death experience; how would it affect you and how it felt.  It sets in a fictional future where the North America was renamed Panem and was divided into twelve districts after a war of some kind ended (Correct me if I'm wrong).  To maintain control of these districts, they held The Hunger Games where one boy and girl ages 12 to 18 is chosen at random from each districts.  The Hunger Games is a televised battle to the death where there could be only one winner.  In this first instalment of the series, it focusses more on Katniss Everdeen's experience upon competing in the games willingly as she wanted to save her little sister, Primrose Everdeen, who was originally chosen for district 12.  It didn't focus more on the games though.  You know, like how action packed films usually do.  This film, thankfully, had heart.  So, I give this film a 3.5/5 because it's a good film though it could've been better if it focuses more on the first instalment.  They end it with a huge indication of a sequel.  To me, making a movie that really feels like it has ended and somehow making a sequel to it is way better.      

Happy Hunger Games and may the odds be ever in your favor. 

Pffttt! That was a bit lame, wasn't it? :p

Have a good day everybody! Salam!





{ 1 comments... read them below or add one }