Faqihin On Monday 8 October 2012

Hi, everybody! 

Within these few weeks of free time, I wanted to make as much artworks as possible.  I don't have time for a comic so arts for friends would do.

Project one is Redemption, it is an art to redeem myself after the first semester of my studies.  Of course, not all of my art was accepted willy-nilly; some of them were rejected harshly =/  
...while some I  humbly agree, others I question with frustration.  So, with the disappointments I receive there, I decided to make an artwork for a friend; to be printed and given in person.  I've never done that. Most of the times, I would just tag them on Facebook =P



 
This is a concept art for the project, a mash-up of photos I found on the internet.  Frankly, I couldn't wait to see it in reality so I did this quick photoshop pic while I was sketching the actual artwork.  

My friend is a skater so...yeah, it's pretty straight forward. BAM! I just put in Tony Hawk in there.  The Hyena is suppose to represent the naysayers of his choices.  


And unlike my assignments, I finally had time to be experimental.  I went for a walk in the park to take some pictures that I thought would be a good background.  In fact, I didn't knew what to put as the background because I didn't had much idea.(Note to self, improve scenery drawings)  It was fun taking the pictures; considering that I didn't had much to do outside of the house, the walk was a tremendous way to start the holiday.





  
At first, I thought I could go along with this idea but it didn't turned out good.  It was horrible as live tracing it didn't helped and that was my original idea; to live trace a suitable picture that I took. 




I took loads of pictures of course and this is one of them that I really like.  It's....greeeny =D 



And in the end, I decided to go all out experimental with this one.  Oh no, I didn't use this in the final product but I did try to finish a concept out of it; just to see how it would look like.  I chose this pic because of the tree in the center.  I thought maybe it could be a natural divider of the negativity and positivity presented in the art. 



This is concept number two, to see how would the live traced pic would look like with the sketches I made.  Note that the skater is another random pic I put in since at that time, I haven't drawn the skater.  Well, it looks interesting to me but it is definitely not presentable.  I mean, no simple minded person would want this and so I dropped the live trace background idea.  




THE SKETCHES 

I started with the Hyena.  Finding the style of drawing was the part where it took some time but it turned out okay.  I wanted the colors to be flat so coloring it wasn't a pain.  

 

But the skater was a pain.  I am really not good with dynamic angles.  At the beginning, I already thought of drawing a simple flat skater because I knew I wasn't good with angles but even with a simple idea, I really couldn't get the legs right.  They weren't flexible or mildly dynamic enough.



But thank god, I manage to drew a decent skater.  The right leg is a bit big but it could be fixed once you scan it in the computer.  



OUTCOMES 

One of the things I've learnt in my studies is that you have to always have alternate versions of your artwork; especially if it's for another fella besides yourself.  Below is my first version of  it; of how I first imagined it. 



It was either a complete dark orange or a live traced pic that was suppose to be the background.  But after experimenting both possibilities, the outcome would still be bad due to the subject themselves.  At first, I love the position of the Hyena and the board but when the skater was put in there, it went bad.   




And in the end, I changed a lot of things with the background; starting with a metallic-like texture on top and with an orange alloy color.  I imagined the whole art to be in a horizontal format but then changed to vertical because it seemed more appropriate; being a poster and all.  This isn't the final product though.  After asking opinions from fellow designers, I changed the skater and colored the see through fences.   


















THE END PRODUCT 

In all honesty, I'm really happy now that I've started to create more artworks and most of them are even colored.  I could see the difference between the posts I've posted before and after I've started studying design.  Before this, I couldn't even color a simple character concept and now I can create a poster...no a good one but hey, I'm getting there.  Alhamdulillah, I am so grateful and Insya Allah, I hope I'll be better. 


Constructive criticism please, thank you and have a good day! Salam! =D

{ 1 comments... read them below or add one }

  1. Yeah now I know who is your skater friend of yours -.- ...I wonder what's his reaction about this artwork you did for him let alone appreciate it..I'm pessimistic about it though..anyway what you did is a good designing practice for you okay...
    All the best for you..

    ReplyDelete