Faqihin On Wednesday 25 January 2012

   I saw a video of a local Anime convention and it was interesting.  I didn't know that Malaysians were avid cosplayers.  Though at a certain point, I think that some of the costumes they wore were unnecessary; it's pretty understandable that dressing up as their favorite characters makes them feel very much alive.  It gives cosplayers the same feeling that I feel when I've come up with a new idea; a feeling of self satisfaction and much more.  What I think is unfair though, hijabed Muslimah aren't able to dress up.  Obviously, most iconic female characters wheres revealing clothes.  Even if some Muslimahs tried to dress up as Chun Li while wearing hijab, I bet they'll be ridiculed.  Other cosplayers would say "You are insulting the iconic Chun Li!" or "What are you thinking? You're a Muslimah, you don't need to do this to prove to yourself as an avid fan"...etc.  In my honest opinion, telling Muslimahs who desires to be cosplayers that they can't do what they love to do is like telling me that I can't write because it's unnecessary.  I would be a tramp; lost in this world, not knowing what to do.  I think it's about time that we give em' what they need to be a cosplayer and that is an iconic hijabed girl character.






Here she is, Super Nur; a superhero in Malaysia.  I think that it just hit stores, if I'm not mistaken but one thing's for sure though; I'll buy it when I see it, Insya Allah :D A friend of mine told me about this character and I started googling her when I've reached my laptop.  I prefer a much more serious theme though but when I saw the writer/artist's interview; I respect his attentions of trying to appeal to a larger audience.  Toning down the seriousness to a simpler plot.  I really hope that this character  would be a hit though because we really need a local fictional icon right now.  Even better, I hope that this comic would be adapt to an animation .  This character inspired me to draw a sketch regarding strong fictional women in films, animation, comic and so on.  No, I'm not referring to characters like Bella from Twilight.  I'm referring to genres that often use female characters as their lead.  Genres like magical girl in the anime world; Sailor Moon, Cardcaptor Sakura and Magical girl lyrical Nanoha.  A genre that involves young girls who uses magical powers to fight evil-doers.  Films like Salt, Tomb Raider and Colombiana that centers bad ass women; women who can kick ass as much or even more than Jason Statham.  Now this would be a tricky genre to pull off.  Besides the action, there's no denying that the bikini scene or even both combine is one of the factors why it sells.  It's just the idea of women kicking ass while half naked is so compelling ( :p ) and because of this factor, a story that centers a hijabed ass kicker would be hard to pull of.  Lastly, I believe this is the most common of them all, is the survivor girl.  Example of films are Alien (Ellen Ripley), Alien versus Predators (Alexa Woods) and so on.  A plot that centers a smart/ happy go lucky/ innocent girl that's somehow got f'ed up by serial killers, zombies and Freddy Krueger.  Usually, in this kind of plot, the female lead is required to abandon her peaceful ways and kill that thing; getting the job done.



From top: Magical girl, (left) Bad ass, (right) Survivor girl
 
     I kind a screw up on survivor girl :/
It took me a while to come up with the survivor girl plot but I'm sure that this kind a plot is often used in every media.  So, that's all I have to write :/


Hoping for a better animation industry,
Salam and have a good day everybody!

Leave a Reply

Subscribe to Posts | Subscribe to Comments